Thursday, February 24, 2011
I'm going to be a nanny!
I'm so excited! My full-time job won't start until August, and after I graduated in Dec 2010 I wondered how long it would take me to go crazy without having a job. For a while there I even started to believe I might be able to last all the way to August. I kept myself busy by doing all the post-wedding name change things I'd put off while I was busy working on my master's, I visited the library and read lots of books, started doing pilates, sorted through my wedding photos and made a wedding book, created our honeymoon and Christmas minibooks (more on that later), worked on my master's manuscript, prepared and taught a geology lesson to 6th graders, gave my M.S. exit talk, and started knitting again. It was glorious while it lasted.
But last Thursday it finally happened. I started to go crazy without having a job. Since I already have a job lined up for August I'm kind of limited with what I can apply for (who wants to train me just to have me leave?), and the economy and lack of jobs limits me too. I looked into subbing but all of the school districts nearby aren't even taking applications for subs anymore. There aren't many geology jobs in this area and community college teaching jobs have already been assigned. Then I revisited trying to get babysitting jobs. I babysat all through 8th grade and high school and part of college and I missed it more than anything when I started getting too busy in college to babysit. Once I moved out here I lost my old contacts and was too busy anyway. I really wanted to do it again, but I had no idea how to start. I got my old babysitting jobs by babysitting for the neighborhood kids and then was recommended for their friends through word of mouth. I decided to try searching for "Pleasanton babysitter" online and lo and behold a bunch of websites popped up! I looked through a few of them and settled on care.com.
It's a great website. I created a profile and could search through jobs parents had posted. I had to put in two references so it was fun to call the families I used to babysit for to catch up and ask if they'd be references for me. I applied to some jobs and then was contacted back by a bunch of families! I had a phone interview with one on Friday and then I went to their house on Sunday to meet the family, and they hired me! They have a 6 month old daughter and a 4 month old son. The baby is very sweet and cute and the boy is a bundle of energy. I'll be their nanny during the week. It'll be a full-time job! Their mom is a teacher so they only need me until June 10th, which is perfect timing. I am so excited. I can't wait!
image via applause-tickets.com

1 comment:
That's awesome. I used that website before having Grace for extra baby shopping money and actually the family I worked for just moved to Alamo and need someone for occasional weekends. ;) They paid 15 in UT which is awesome for here, but in CA they would probably pay 20-25 an hour. If you want their number let me know--they asked me for names and I haven't given them any yet.
Post a Comment