I really miss HEBs, Tex-mex, and Bluebell vanilla ice cream while I am in California. Also, why do other states not have feeder roads??!?!?!! My mom and I were so turned around when we got into California! We learned that if you get off the freeway, good luck. A seemingly short and easy detour to a restaurant that you can see from the freeway turns into a 30 minute ordeal trying to find your way back because there are no signs and no feeder roads!
TAing has been fun so far. I'm teaching the lab for the intro geology class, so I'm teaching people what minerals are, how to identify them, what sed rocks/igneous rocks/metamorphic rocks are, about faults, etc. Most of the students are civil engineers, but maybe I can convince some of them to switch their majors to geology! Most of the geologists out there started off in a different major before switching once they took their first geo class, so hopefully I can create a few converts myself.
The other new grad students at Davis are from all over. They're from New York, Massachusets, southern California, North Carolina, etc. I'm the only grad student from Texas! Sometimes people from other places surprise me. For instance, they have never heard of Luby's and have never had red beans and rice. Weird! Everyone is really outdoorsy and athletic here, and they all recycle! I love it. The climate here is wonderful, except for the crazy fact that we don't have thunder or lightning when it rains. Summer is the dry season in Davis, and the "wet" season is just now starting. It rained (drizzled) on Friday, and it was the first time that it had rained in Davis since March! MARCH. What kind of place have I moved to????
No comments:
Post a Comment