Sunday, October 26, 2008

First field trip!

This Friday the geology grad students started the weekend off with their annual Pub Crawl. We started at Woodstock's with free pizza from the Dean Witter fund and went from there. I had to leave early-ish because this weekend I had to TA the GEL 50 field trip! It's the first geology field trip that the students have been on, and the first field trip that I've TA'd. It was a really easy going trip. We saw chert, shale, sandstone, and pillow basalts along roadcuts, stopped at a cheese factory, and spent about 3 hours looking at some rock outcrops on the beach at Pt. Reyes. Saturday was sunny and warm, but on Sunday the fog rolled in. The highlight of the trip was me completely obliterating a bale of hay in the geology van full of students that I was driving while going 70 on the highway. I was the third van in our caravan, and by the time the first two had swerved to avoid it I didn't have any time to switch lanes so I just had to hit it head on! The students in the back of my van shot up about 6 inches (sure woke them up!), and when I looked back in my rear view mirror there were pieces of hay exploding everywhere. It was quite the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment