Monday, January 23, 2012

Lightning storm from 30,000'+

This past weekend I visited Christie and Andrew in Michigan! On the flight back the pilot came on the loudspeaker to announce that we were being diverted a bit to avoid a storm. He put the seatbelt sign on and the stewardesses disappeared because they had to remain seated, too. I happened to look out the window and my jaw dropped. It took me a second to realize what I was seeing- it was a lightning storm! It was one of the most spectacular things I've ever seen. We were flying alongside the storm just above the clouds so I could see all of the lightning flashing in the clouds. I took this video before my camera died:


Turns out the storm was a pretty spectacular (and frightening) one from the ground. I thought I hadn't seen lightning like that before because I'd never seen it from the sky. Turns out I've never seen a storm like that before because I've never been in one that bad. Click here to see a video of what it looked like from the ground!

I watched the lightning flash in the clouds for a full 30 minutes from my window. Southwest planes typically cruise at 485 mph, so that's about 250 miles of storm! (and it may have started before I looked out the window!)

Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment