Monday, April 18, 2011
Fog blockers
The Sunday after the Asparagus festival Pascal and I went skiing for the last time this season at Kirkwood. It was slushy and warm but I didn't care- I wanted to go one more time before we moved. Who knows when we'll be so close to skiing again? Being able to make last minute plans for a Sunday ski trip is awesome.
The thing I cannot get used to here in California is the weather. It's way too cold for me, and the winters are too dark. I love the heat and humidity and I can't handle how long the 40-60 degree weather lasts here. It actually messes with my sense of time. It doesn't seem like it's almost May because the weather is the equivalent of late Feb-early March for me. I had a friend in college from Maryland and she said that living in Austin messed with her sense of time, but in the opposite way. For her, winter never happened and it was like she was living in a constant state of summer. I completely understand what she meant now. (btw, I fully appreciate that most people do not consider northern California cold. In fact, most people talk about how hot it gets, which is really funny to me because I never feel like it gets hot enough here.)
We took the pictures above on our way home from skiing. Can you see the fog spilling over the hills? The fog is my constant enemy. The lower picture is closer to the Pleasanton side of the hills- see how the fog isn't as thick? I call the hills fog blockers and I'm so happy every time I see them doing their job. I love you, hills. Keep us warm and sunny!


2 comments:
Did I miss the memo? Where are you moving?
The funny thing is that native Californians can't handle any weather other than this. I can't handle temperatures above 75 degrees or below 40.
I love the fog! That's one thing I miss the most about CA. The free air conditioning in the summer--and it's so beautiful rolling over the hills!
Post a Comment