Monday, February 16, 2009

rainy days

This past weekend I TA'd the Sed/Strat class field trip to Cache Creek, where it rained on us most of the day Saturday and the whole time we were there Sunday. The students learned how to measure section using a Jacob staff and brunton. We had to call the Sunday trip short because all of the rain was creating excellent landslide conditions, and rocks were starting to fall off of the cliff face dangerously close to the students! Since my boots were soaked through by that time, I was ok with leaving.

Since I was TAing on the 14th, Pascal came into town to take me out to dinner on the 13th. We ate at Bistro 33 and then made chocolate fondue at my apartment! Since there are no fondue pots for sale in the greater Davis area, we used my cast iron teapot to melt the chocolate instead- it was still just as delicious! Since the field trip ended early, on Sunday I was able to drive to Stanford to see Pascal. On Monday we were up bright and early to watch the bikers in the Tour of California race. We drove up a windy mountain road as far as we could, and then we walked closer until we found a good spot. It was raining on us the whole time, so we were bundled up in down jackets and rain gear. I was surprised by how many people were there! A lot of people biked up there and were wearing their biking gear, but there were a few really interesting characters. One guy was wearing a banana costume, and there were two other people dressed in chicken suits. We waited for about a 1/2 hour and then cars started coming by... then police motorcycles.... then a car announcing that the riders were 4 miles back... then more motorcycles... then an announcer saying they were 1.5 miles back... then more cars.... then more motorcycles.... and then.... the first bikers! There was a pack of 10 or so 4 minutes ahead of the rest. They were flying by- they were too fast for my camera! After a few minutes the peloton (<-- I learned a new biking word!) went past, and somehow Pascal picked out Lance Armstrong and pointed him out to me. There were a few stragglers after that, and finally a truck brought up the end with two brooms sticking up from between the bed and cab to signify the end. On the way back down after the race we stopped by a small restaurant that turned out to be really good, and it seems like they have banjo music every Monday night and Opera concerts about once a month. This place is really out of the way and small- I wonder what Opera there is like?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Hahaha... two brooms to signify the end? what a weird convention. Also, I realized that the word "peloton" also exists in spanish! It is "pelotón" (same, but with an accent).

Nice pictures btw, you're both very photogenic :)

S.

Post a Comment