Saturday, December 13, 2008

First quarter of grad school: DONE

On Tuesday Sarah and I bought our hotel for AGU next week. We bought it through hotwire.com, a website that gets you great deals but doesn't tell you which hotel you'll be staying in until after you've already paid. This hotel turned out to be super sketchy (see Sarah's description of it here: http://taxicafe.blogspot.com/2008/12/agu-hotel-booking.html) and on Saturday Sarah got an email from hotwire.com saying that there had been major changes to our reservation. The change? That the hotel we were booked for didn't have a front desk. What kind of hotel doesn't have a front desk?! We were going to have to go to another hotel to check in, and then go to our hotel! Since that was not part of the original deal, hotwire.com offered to let us cancel the reservation free of charge, which we did. New plan: crash in Cara and Erin's nice, respectable hotel for free instead. Much better.

On Tuesday I had a bunch of people over for a Christmas party, except the only thing Christmas-y was the alcohol. We had seasonal beer and mulled wine and hot apple cider. I was going to make it a white elephant party until I searched through my apartment and realized that there was nothing in it that I didn't absolutely need in the near future, so I couldn't give anything away as a white elephant gift. Moving only the things I could fit into my car to California definitely caused me to bring only the neccesities.

I turned in the final grades for my students and turned in my paper and gave my presentation for my instrumental methods class on Thursday, officially ending my duties for the quarter!

No comments:

Post a Comment